As automation professionals strive to enhance their skills and stay ahead of the curve, understanding powerful platforms like CODESYS becomes crucial. RealPars’ video on “CODESYS Basics | What is CODESYS and Why is it Important?” explained the 101 guide to CODESYS perfectly. The concept of CODESYS through an analogy with the popular Android operating system stood out from the video, which is what we will be exploring in detail in this blog. By drawing parallels between the two, the aim of this blog is to shed light on the versatility and potential of CODESYS as the “Android” of the automation industry.
Understanding the Analogy
CODESYS can be likened to the “Android” of automation due to several technical aspects that align with the analogy. Let’s delve into the highlight of its similarities:
1. Open Platform: Similar to Android, CODESYS is an open platform that offers developers and automation professionals the freedom to create and customise automation solutions. It provides an open ecosystem that encourages collaboration, innovation, and the development of diverse applications.
2. Programming Language Support: CODESYS supports the IEC 61131-3 standard, which encompasses various programming languages such as ladder logic, structured text, function block diagram, sequential function chart, and instruction list. This extensive language support enables professionals to choose the most appropriate language for their automation projects, just as Android supports multiple programming languages like Java and Kotlin.
3. Application Development: Like Android, CODESYS facilitates application development by providing a comprehensive set of tools, libraries, and APIs. It offers a rich development environment with features specifically tailored for industrial automation, allowing professionals to create complex automation applications efficiently.
4. Device Compatibility: CODESYS is compatible with a wide range of hardware platforms, making it similar to Android’s compatibility with diverse mobile devices. CODESYS supports integration with various programmable logic controllers (PLCs), remote I/O devices, human-machine interfaces (HMIs), and other automation components from different manufacturers.
5. Connectivity and Communication: CODESYS, like Android, emphasises connectivity and communication capabilities. It supports various industrial communication protocols such as Modbus, OPC UA, CANopen, EtherCAT, and more. This enables seamless integration of different devices, sensors, and control systems, creating a unified and interconnected automation network.
6. Market Adoption: Just as Android enjoys widespread adoption in the consumer electronics market, CODESYS has gained significant traction in the automation industry. It has become a de facto standard for many automation applications, with a large user base and extensive community support.
7. Flexibility and Customisation: Both Android and CODESYS offer flexibility and customisation options. CODESYS allows professionals to design and implement automation solutions tailored to specific industrial requirements, just as Android allows users to customise their devices with personalised settings, themes, and applications.
This comparison highlights how CODESYS embodies similar technical characteristics that have made Android widely successful in the consumer electronics market, positioning CODESYS as the go-to platform for automation professionals.
The entry of Android into the mobile market had a significant impact on traditional players like BlackBerry and Nokia, leading to their decline. Similarly, CODESYS, with its open platform approach and advanced features, has the potential to position itself as the “Android” of automation and outshine its competitors.
By learning from the downfall of closed-platform players, CODESYS have positioned itself as the “Android” of automation by embracing openness, encouraging innovation, adapting to market trends, prioritising integration and interoperability, and nurturing a vibrant community. These factors can contribute to CODESYS outshining its competitors and becoming the go-to platform for automation professionals, just as Android became the dominant force in the mobile market.
Learning CODESYS: Opportunities in Australia
Ti2 continues to empower learning of CODESYS and we encourage more learning avenues of CODESYSS. At the moment, you can get resources and knowledge on how to use CODESYS with the following ways:
1. Online Tutorials and Resources: Just as individuals learn about Android development through online tutorials, CODESYS provides a wealth of online resources. Platforms like YouTube and the official CODESYS website offer tutorials, video courses, and documentation for beginners to grasp the fundamentals of CODESYS.
2. Community and Forums: Engaging with CODESYS communities and forums is similar to joining Android development communities. Participating in discussions, sharing knowledge, and troubleshooting challenges enable professionals to tap into the collective wisdom of experienced CODESYS users. Active community involvement fosters a deeper understanding of CODESYS and provides practical insights.
3. CODESYS Training Workshops: Automation companies, industry associations, and training institutes often organise CODESYS training workshops in Australia. These workshops offer hands-on training, real-world examples, and networking opportunities. Attending such workshops provides professionals with valuable practical skills and industry connections.
4. Online CODESYS Courses: CODESYS Academy offer online CODESYS courses accessible from anywhere in Australia. These courses provide self-paced learning, interactive exercises, and assessments to track progress. Online courses offer flexibility and convenience for professionals seeking to learn CODESYS at their own pace.
Here are some reliable sources where you can find CODESYS tutorials and learning materials:
1. CODESYS YouTube Channel: The official CODESYS YouTube channel provides a wide range of video tutorials and demonstrations. It covers various topics, from basic programming concepts to advanced automation techniques. You can access the channel at youtube.com/c/CODESYSofficial.
2. CODESYS Online Help: The official CODESYS website offers an extensive online help section that includes documentation, user guides, and FAQs. It serves as a comprehensive resource for understanding different aspects of CODESYS programming, features, and functionalities. You can access the online help at help.codesys.com.
3. CODESYS Forum: The CODESYS Forum is a community-driven platform where users can ask questions, share knowledge, and discuss various CODESYS-related topics. It’s an excellent place to seek guidance, troubleshoot issues, and learn from experienced CODESYS users. You can access the forum at forum.codesys.com.
4. Udemy: Udemy is an online learning platform that offers a variety of CODESYS courses, ranging from beginner to advanced levels. These courses are created by experienced instructors and provide comprehensive video lectures, quizzes, and hands-on exercises. You can search for CODESYS courses on udemy.com.
5. CODESYS Academy: The CODESYS Academy is an online platform that offers self-paced CODESYS courses and certifications. They provide in-depth training on different CODESYS topics, including programming, visualisation, motion control, and more. You can find their courses and additional resources at codesys.academy.
Contact us HERE to learn more about CODESYS and how it can help your industrial automation projects to unlock its benefits and drive innovation in your industry.
Ti2 is currently very focused on working with its global partners to secure stock and avoid long delay times in delivering products to their customers. Together with our trusted partners, we are here to provide solutions for your needs.
Please click here to email us your inquiry, we would like to hear from you.