Another one of our blog and LinkedIn post blew up and this time it questions if CODESYS Will Give Siemens And Allen Bradley A Run For Their Money… A good question with good explanation, but the comments and response brought us great joy.
Check out what Liam Bee is saying here:
To summarise from what Liam was saying CODESYS added bonuses include:
- Cheap licensing, in many cases free!
- You have interchangeable hardware that runs the CODESYS kernel
- 2h simulation of the PLC, it lets you practice comms over networks.
- Get it talking to Node-Red and you can learn skills that would take you years to become exposed to in the real world, or cost you a fortune on official courses.
This blog goes over those exact 4 pointers. We’re breaking it down to chunks so you know to decide for yourself if CODESYS is the perfect option for you.
>> Let me conclude CODESYS in three words for you.
Functional, Affordable, Independent.
Read that again and note that 2 in 3 is something you’re not getting with the industry’s giants.
Some industry giants like Siemens and Rockwell may have been the real deal for a long time, but time’s changing and we’ve got a new player in the arena.
Are you really an engineer if you’re not setting your eyes on the newest technologies?
Cheap licensing, in many cases free!
CODESYS has redefined the pricing paradigm in the industrial automation arena. In many cases, it offers budget-friendly licensing options, and even provides free access to its core features. This democratises access to cutting-edge automation solutions, leveling the playing field for businesses of all sizes. In contrast, Siemens and Rockwell often come with hefty price tags, creating a barrier to entry for smaller enterprises.
CODESYS’s licensing structure is designed with flexibility in mind. It allows users to choose the licensing option that best aligns with their project requirements. This adaptability means that whether you’re working on a small-scale application or a complex industrial automation system, CODESYS can cater to your needs without overstretching your budget.
Interchangeable hardware that runs the CODESYS kernel
Unlike Siemens and Rockwell, CODESYS isn’t bound to a specific hardware manufacturer. This opens up a world of possibilities for engineers and system integrators. They have the freedom to select hardware from a wide array of manufacturers that support the CODESYS platform. This vendor independence provides a level of adaptability and choice that’s not easily found in proprietary systems.
CODESYS adheres to international standards and protocols for industrial automation, such as IEC 61131-3. By following established industry norms, CODESYS can interoperate with a wide range of hardware and software components, reducing the need for proprietary solutions.
Designed to run on various operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and real-time operating systems CODESYS’ platform neutrality ensures that it can be deployed on a wide range of hardware, providing users with flexibility in their choice of devices. This allows users to select the hardware that best fits their project requirements, rather than being limited to a single vendor’s offerings. The compatibility with a variety of hardware options helps keep costs competitive.
With resource efficiency in mind, CODESYS can run efficiently on a wide range of hardware, including embedded systems with lower computing power. This efficiency contributes to its affordability, as it doesn’t require high-end hardware to operate effectively.
In addition, the active and engaged CODESYS community plays a crucial role in its affordability and independence. Users and developers contribute to the platform by creating libraries, add-ons, and solutions that enhance its capabilities. This collaborative effort reduces the burden on the core development team and helps keep costs down.
The licensing models offered by 3S-Smart Software Solutions, the company behind CODESYS, are designed to cater to a wide range of users. This includes free versions for educational and smaller-scale projects, as well as paid licenses for larger and more complex applications. This strategic approach allows for broader accessibility.
2h simulation of the PLC, it lets you practice comms over networks.
The 2-hour simulation feature in CODESYS is a valuable tool for engineers and programmers in the field of industrial automation. This simulation capability allows users to simulate the behavior of a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) for a duration of up to two hours. Here’s why this feature is particularly beneficial:
- Risk-Free Environment: The simulation feature provides a safe and controlled environment for users to experiment with different configurations and test communication protocols over networks. This eliminates the risk of potential errors or disruptions in an actual operational setting.
- Training and Skill Development: Engineers and programmers can use the simulation mode to enhance their skills in setting up and managing communications between PLCs over networks. This hands-on experience is invaluable for both training purposes and skill-building.
- Testing Network Configurations: Users can thoroughly test and validate network configurations without the need for physical hardware. This can lead to more efficient troubleshooting and optimisation of network setups.
- Protocol Testing: Engineers can simulate various communication protocols and observe their behavior in a controlled environment. This aids in the identification of potential issues and ensures that the chosen protocols function as expected.
- Optimising Performance: By simulating network communications, users can assess and fine-tune the performance of the communication system. This includes factors like data transmission rates, error handling, and network load.
- Protocol Compatibility Testing: Engineers can use the simulation feature to verify that different devices and components within the network can communicate effectively using the chosen protocols.
- Preventing Downtime: Through simulation, potential issues with network communications can be identified and resolved before implementation in an actual operational environment. This proactive approach helps prevent costly downtime and disruptions.
- Cost Savings: The ability to simulate network communications means that users can reduce the need for physical hardware during the testing and validation phase. This can lead to cost savings in terms of equipment and resources.
Node-Red and CODESYS
“Get it talking to Node-Red and you can learn skills that would take you years to become exposed to in the real world, or cost you a fortune on official courses.”
YES, integrating CODESYS with Node-RED presents a fantastic opportunity for learning and skill development in the field of industrial automation. Here’s why this integration is so valuable:
- Diverse Skill Set: Node-RED provides a visual programming environment that allows for rapid prototyping of IoT and automation solutions. By connecting CODESYS with Node-RED, users can gain exposure to a wide range of technologies, protocols, and devices, enriching their skill set in a relatively short period.
- Real-world Application: The combination of CODESYS and Node-RED enables users to work on real-world automation projects. This practical experience is invaluable for understanding how these technologies are applied in industry settings.
- Cost-Efficiency: Official training courses for specific automation technologies can be expensive. By using Node-RED in conjunction with CODESYS, users can acquire similar skills without the hefty financial investment.
- Rapid Prototyping: Node-RED’s visual programming interface allows for quick and efficient prototyping of automation solutions. This means users can iterate and experiment with different concepts and configurations in a short amount of time.
- Interoperability and Integration: Node-RED excels at integrating diverse devices and protocols, making it a powerful tool for bridging different systems and technologies. This skill is highly relevant in today’s interconnected automation landscape.
- Community and Resources: The Node-RED community is active and provides a wealth of resources, including tutorials, forums, and third-party integrations. This support network enhances the learning experience and provides opportunities for collaboration and knowledge-sharing.
- Scalability and Flexibility: Node-RED can be used for projects of varying scales, from small prototypes to large-scale automation solutions. This scalability allows users to apply their skills to a wide range of projects.
- Future-proofing Skills: Given the increasing importance of IoT and automation in various industries, gaining proficiency in technologies like Node-RED positions individuals for a future-proof career in automation and industrial control.
By connecting CODESYS to Node-RED, users can unlock a world of possibilities and accelerate their learning curve in the dynamic field of industrial automation. This integration offers a hands-on, cost-effective, and efficient way to develop skills that are in high demand in today’s rapidly evolving industry landscape.
CODESYS is more than a platform; it’s an enabler of innovation. Its affordable licensing, hardware independence, realistic simulation, and integration capabilities empower engineers and businesses to push the boundaries of what’s possible in automation. Embracing CODESYS is not just adopting a technology; it’s embracing a future where the only limit is the imagination of the user. With CODESYS, the next era of industrial automation is within reach.
Read more about how CODESYS might just be The “Android” of the Automation Industry.
Contact us HERE if you’re interested in implementing CODESYS in your industrial projects to unlock its benefits and drive innovation in your industry.
Ti2 is currently very focused on working with its global partners to secure stock and avoid long delay times in delivering products to their customers. Together with our trusted partners, we are here to provide solutions for your needs.
Please click here to email us your inquiry, we would like to hear from you.